• angles and lines over random patterns.
Day 7. Thinking about:
• an inspiring visit to the studio of Dara Vallely in Armagh on the weekend.
- figure-ground relationship
- an unconscious design aesthetic constraining the possibilities of the work
- playing with the grid.
- having trends pointed out in your work that you hadn't noticed before
- leaning into them
- imposing structures.
'Ciaran Carson's Dream' is a new work installed outside The Garrick Bar in Belfast. It's part of a series of works created for a project involving Seedhead Arts, Form Native and Belfast City Council.
‘Mamalujo’ is my most recent video piece. It premiered at the Northern Ireland Mental Health Arts Festival, which took place last month – online.
How’s it going Jonathan?
‘A Harlot’s Progress’
ArtisAnn Gallery, Belfast
2 May – 1 June 2019
Whatever you think about Robin Noel Pecknold, an essay he wrote for the liner notes of Fleet Foxes’ eponymous debut album has stuck with me and I feel is worth sharing.
Like all children, I drew a lot growing up. It was an immediate medium and the tools, pencil and paper, were simple and easy to find. It was something I continued doing for years, but very sporadically.
Last week I was in Bantry for the West Cork Literary festival. The Bantry Bookshop hosted my brother Dylan Brennan in conversation on the subject of his most recent collection ‘Guadalupe & Other Hallucinations’.